GUE’s Diver Propulsion Vehicle Level 1 course is designed to introduce divers to the skills and knowledge required to safely use underwater propulsion vehicles in open water.
- GUE training standard
Applicants for a GUE Fundamentals course must:
- Be physically and mentally fit.
- Be a nonsmoker.
- Obtain a physician’s prior written authorization for the use of prescription drugs, except for birth control, or for any prior medical condition that may pose a risk while diving.
- Be a minimum of 16 years of age.
- Have a minimum of 75 logged dives.
- Have passed the GUE Fundamentals at the “Recreational” level.
- Submit a completed registration form, a medical history, and a liability release to GUE Headquarters.
An approved DPV is one that is tow-behind style with adjustable speed and clutch mechanism. The DPV must include an attached cord at the back with a bolt snap to be clipped on the front crotch-strap D-ring. The DPV should also have a leash attached to the front to be used for towing.
Prior to the commencement of class, students should consult with a GUE representative to verify equipment requirements. Anyhow the students are not required to have their own DPV to take the course as rental DPVs are available at our diving facility. This option allows the student to try out different kind of DPV prior to making any purchases and to avoid acquiring equipment which not meet their expectations.
Combining lectures, land drills and training sessions the course aims to develop basic diving skills in for the use of a DPV with with special emphasis on the following areas:
- dive planning;
- team and communication strategies;
- underwater navigation;
- components and maintenance;
- standard procedures;
- emergency procedures
- Student-to-instructor cannot exceed 3:1
- Critical skills may only be performed up to a maximum depth of 9 meters
- Maximum depth during training cannot exceed 30 meters
- No overhead diving
- Minimum decompression
The GUE DPV 1 course is normally conducted over three days, and includes five dives and a minimum 24 hours of instruction, encompassing classroom, land drills and in-water work.
All-inclusive course price
Instruction, dives and gas refills
GUE DPV 1
- 3 days
GUE DPV 1 + dpv rental
- 3 days